July 1996 Recommended
And the Winners Are ...
Our Picks for Hardware, Systems and Software
New This Month
- 200 MHz screaming Pentium Pros-get it done in half the time
- Cyrix P166+ based machine-watch it run like a Pentium
- 133 MHz notebooks-keep up while you're on the road
- New expense software-save time after the trip
How We Review
Our reviewers evaluate products on installation, usability, supporting
materials, functionality, performance and utility. We compile
these ratings to yield an overall WinMag Box Score of 1 to 5.
The Box Score, which is explained in detail at the bottom of this
page, is used along with other factors to determine which products
will be included in the WINDOWS Magazine Recommended list.
Our reviewers evalute products with one simple thought in mind:
Would I recommend this product to a friend or relative if asked,
"Which one should I buy?" The WinMag Box Score gives
you a clear indication of which products we consider to be among
the best choices available.
The WinMag Box Score rates products on installation, usability,
supporting materials, functionality, performance and utility.
Our overall ratings follow this scale:
- 5--Outstanding or breakthrough product, best of its kind;
- 4--Exceeds expectations, superior to most competing products;
- 3--Works well, meets all our expectations, no major problems;
- 2--Has serious difficulties or limitations;
- 1--Has critical flaws.